The Audi R8 e-tron Special Edition is a fictional version of the Audi R8 e-tron with aftermarket modifications:
- Custom wide bodykit and spoiler
- Gold-rimmed wheels
- Custom livery
- Metallic Red body color
- Black and Gold stripes
- The zodiacal sign of the Chinese year of the car's release: the Dog
The Audi R8 e-tron Special Edition is a mid Class A car added in the Fall Out Boy Update with the following rank statistics:
- Starting rank: 459
- MAX rank: 1357
- MAX+PRO rank: 1695
- Tuning Kit bonus: +95
- Stock to MAX+PRO rank difference: 1236
- This gives the Audi R8 e-tron Special Edition the highest stock-to-MAX+PRO rank spread in the game.
- Upgrade rank percentages: 10/50/10/30
- Nitro Efficiency: 5/7.5/10
The Audi R8 e-tron Special Edition, as with the other "Special Edition" vehicles, sports a number of traits improved over its base model:
- The faster acceleration, even if not at the standards of a McLaren MP4/8 or a Rezvani Beast Alpha, allows the e-tron SE to outrun much of its competition.
- The total speed of 477.1 km/h (296.5 mph) is lackluster for a Class A vehicle, but at multiplayer tunes, enables the e-tron SE to reach much higher speeds compared to similarly ranked cars.
- The improved handling also allows the e-tron SE to take fast and slow bends without drifting. This and its extremely sharp drifting ease maneuvering on all tracks. Drifting to take a sharp corner, however, is prone to oversteering.
Combined with its outstanding nitro efficiency, the e-tron SE is a truly versatile and all-rounded car.
The Audi R8 e-tron Special Edition is a deadly car for multiplayer. Compared to the Mercedes-Benz SLK 55 AMG Special Edition, which has a wide tuning range as well, at lower ranks the e-tron SE is currently the best MP car below the ranks of 1350.
When MP-tuning the e-tron SE, top speed is the highest priority, given its massive increase from stock (200.1 km/h; 124.2 mph) to MAX+PRO 392.2 km/h; 243.5 mph).
Conversely, upgrading nitro leads to diminishing returns, despite the excellent nitro duration, as the resulting increase in rank is too large proportionally to the gain in speed. A MAX 0505 PRO 5050 tuning is a case in point: compared to the 0500-5050 below, it adds 269 to the rank but only adds 15.8 km/h (9.8 mph) to the total speed.
Any MAX 0n00 PRO 5050 tune (where n is any level from 0 to 5) is optimally effective. A few tuning examples:
- MAX 0400 PRO 5050 = 976 (420 km/h; 261 mph)
- This is possibly the best tune for the e-tron SE. However, it is not enough to beat the final AI of the R&D event.
- MAX 0500 PRO 5050 = 1111 (450 km/h; 279 mph)
- Another optimal tune, popular for being the bare minimum to pass the R&D without skipping any tests. (As an exception, there has been a single verifiable case of success at 0500-4050.)
- MAX 0500 PRO 5055 = 1178 (456.2 km/h; 283.5 mph)
- The disproportion between rank and nitro, albeit still present, becomes less pronounced when boosting nitro with PRO upgrades instead of MAX ones.
- MAX 5505 PRO 5555 = 1605 (477.1 km/h; 296.5 mph)
- Higher ranked tunes allow for easier driving experience and higher point gains in MP. The maxed out acceleration brings forth a head start likely to beat BMW Hommages.
At ranks of 1350-1600, the Audi R8 e-tron Special Edition, while still very competitive, can be beaten on certain tracks by various prevalent cars at this range, due to its lower total speed of 477.1 km/h (296.5 mph) at rank 1513; a Chevrolet 2016 Camaro SS at rank 1450, for example, reaches 490.6 km/h (304.8 mph). However, given the e-tron SE's good acceleration and drifting, it can still beat most other cars of similar rank on short and/or twisty tracks. In general, it is recommended to keep the e-tron SE's rank under 1500 to harness its full potential.
Above rank 1600, the Audi R8 e-tron Special Edition loses most of its usefulness. Even though its superb acceleration and nitro duration allow it to challenge similarly ranked Aston Martin Vulcans, Arrinera Hussarya GTs, SIN R1s, Apollo Intensa Emoziones, and McLaren Mercedes MP4-25s, it is bound to face stiffer competition from highly tuned Vulcan, SIN R1s, and BMW 3.0 CSL Hommages; these cars have similar handling traits, but a significantly higher (up to 35 km/h or 23 mph) top speed.
The Audi R8 e-tron is a poor choice for A-Class TLEs owing to its inferior top speed to many other top-end cars with otherwise similar stats. For example, the McLaren Mercedes MP4-25 is a direct improvement over the e-tron SE except for nitro duration. It is, however, the best vehicle to use in Audi-only events, and also an ideal choice for events involving electric vehicles.
An alternative use for a fully upgraded R8 SE is grinding at its Mastery Challenge 15, with profitability comparable to the McLaren 675LT.
Price and Availability
The Audi R8 e-tron Special Edition is neither purchased with credits nor tokens nor able to be assembled with Blueprints. It only can be obtained through the completion of its R&D event.
Upgrades for the R8 SE costs 2,036,200 + 5,595 while Pro Kits require 1,430,300, 14 of each Class A part, 6 Initial and Early Tech, 12 Mid-Tech, 8 Advanced Tech and 12 Legendary Electric Engine cards.
Research & Development
- Main article: Research & Development/Audi R8 e-tron Special Edition
The Audi R8 e-tron Special Edition's R&D was first held on February 12 2018 during the Fall Out Boy Update. The event spans 4 Labs and 50 Tests with a time limit of 10 days.