The Audi R8 e-tron Special Editon is a fictional version of the Audi R8 e-tron with aftermarket modifications and highly enhanced performance.
The livery of the Audi R8 e-tron Special Editon is similar to that of the Mercedes-Benz SLK 55 AMG Special Edition in many aspects:
- A red, black and gold color scheme
- A wide black stripe running down the middle of the car
- 2 thin gold lines separating the black portions from the red
- Gold-rimmed wheels
- A depiction of the zodiacal sign of the Chinese year of the car's release: the Dog for the e-tron SE and the Rooster for the SLK SE.
The Audi R8 e-tron Special Editon is a midtier Class A car added in the Fall Out Boy Update. It is the first A Class electric vehicle to be added, with the following rank statistics:
- Starting rank: 459
- MAX rank: 1357
- MAX+PRO rank: 1695
- This gives the Audi R8 e-tron Special Editon the highest stock-to-MAX+PRO rank spread in the whole game, a whopping 1236.
- Tuning Kit bonus: +95
The Audi R8 e-tron Special Editon, as with the other "Special Edition" vehicles, sports a number of traits improved over its base model, especially acceleration, top speed and handling.
- The faster acceleration, even if not at the standards of a McLaren MP4/8 or a Donkervoort D8 GTO, allows the e-tron SE to outrun much of its competition.
- The total speed (top speed + nitro, with Tuning Kit) of 477.1 km/h (296.5 mph) is lackluster for an A-Class vehicle, but at low-to-mid ranks its aforementioned rank spread enables the e-tron SE to reach much higher speeds compared to similarly ranked cars.
- The improved handling also allows the e-tron SE to take fast and slow bends without drifting. This and its extremely sharp drifting ease maneuvering on all tracks. Drifting to take a sharp corner, however, is prone to oversteering.
The Audi R8 e-tron Special Editon can be a deadly multiplayer car, again for its huge gap between stock to MAX-PRO ranks. Compared to the Mercedes-Benz SLK 55 AMG Special Edition, which has a wide tuning range as well, at low ranks the e-tron SE is currently the undisputedly best MP car below the ranks of 1500.
When MP-tuning the e-tron SE, top speed is the highest priority, given its massive increase from stock (200.1 km/h; 124.2 mph) to MAX+PRO 392.2 km/h; 243.5 mph).
Conversely, upgrading nitro leads to diminishing returns, despite the excellent nitro duration, as the resulting increase in rank is too large proportionally to the gain in speed. A MAX 0505 PRO 5050 tuning is a case in point: compared to the 0500-5050 below, it adds 269 to the rank and only 15.8 km/h (9.8 mph) to the total speed.
Any MAX 0n00 PRO 5050 tune (where n is any level from 0 to 5) is optimally effective. A few tuning examples:
- MAX 0400 PRO 5050 = 976 (420 km/h; 261 mph)
- This is possibly the best tune for the e-tron SE. However, it is not enough to beat the final AI of the R&D event.
- MAX 0500 PRO 5050 = 1111 (450 km/h; 279 mph)
- Another optimal tune, popular for being the bare minimum to pass the R&D without skipping any tests. (As an exception, there has been a single verifiable case of success at 0500-4050.)
- MAX 0500 PRO 5055 = 1178 (456.2 km/h; 283.5 mph)
- The disproportion between rank and nitro, albeit still present, becomes less pronounced when boosting nitro with PRO upgrades instead of MAX ones.
- MAX 5505 PRO 5555 = 1595 (477.1 km/h; 296.5 mph)
- Higher ranked tunes allow for easier driving experience and higher point gains in mp. The maxed out acceleration brings forth a head start likely to beat BMW Hommages.
At ranks of 1400-1600, the Audi R8 e-tron Special Editon, while still competitive, can be beaten by various prevalent cars at this range, due to its lower total speed of 477.1 km/h (296.5 mph); a Chevrolet 2016 Camaro SS at rank 1450, for example, reaches 490.6 km/h (304.8 mph). However, given the e-tron SE's good acceleration and drifting, it can still beat most other cars of similar rank on short and/or twisty tracks. In general, it is recommended to keep the e-tron SE's rank under 1500 to harness its full potential.
Above rank 1600, the Audi R8 e-tron Special Editon loses most of its usefulness. Even though its superb acceleration and nitro duration allow it to challenge similarly ranked Aston Martin Vulcans, Arrinera Hussarya GTs, SIN R1s and McLaren Mercedes MP4-25s, it is bound to face stiffer competition from highly tuned Aston Martin Vulcans, SIN R1s and BMW 3.0 CSL Hommages; these cars have similar handling traits, but a significantly higher (up to 35 km/h or 23 mph) top speed.
The Audi R8 e-tron is a poor choice for A-Class TLEs owing to its inferior top speed to many other top-end cars with otherwise similar stats. For example, the McLaren Mercedes MP4-25, another A-Class vehicle, is a direct improvement over the e-tron SE except for nitro duration. (An alternative use for a fully upgraded R8 SE is farming credits, at its Mastery Challenge 15, more profitably even than with the McLaren 675LT.)
Price and Availability
The Audi R8 e-tron Special Edition is one of only three vehicles that require -only upgrades (the other two vehicles being the Mosler Super GT and BMW 3.0 CSL Hommage). With both and combined, it costs 2,036,200 and 5,595 to MAX out. Pro Kits require 1,430,300, as well as 14 of each Class A part, 6 each of Initial and Early Tech, 12 Mid-Tech, 8 Advanced Tech and 12 Legendary Electric Engine cards.
Research & Development
- Main article: Research & Development/Audi R8 e-tron Special Edition
The Audi R8 e-tron Special Editon's R&D was first held in mid-February 2018 during the Fall Out Boy Update. Players are given 10 days to complete the 4 Labs and 50 Tests of the event.